Make way for the roscón

I bought a roscón this afternoon. After all the Three Kings will be delivering Christmas presents all over Spain tonight and it seemed churlish not to join in by chomping my way through one of these large, doughnut shaped cakes that are part of the traditional fare for the celebration.

The Three Kings were on the news - arriving by boat in Cartagena, Barcelona and Alicante, by helicopter in Ceuta, on the AVE train in Albacete, cruising in stretch limos and riding elephants and camels in Cantabria.

I was at work till eight and the parade of the Kings through Cartagena began at six but, on the off chance, I joined the throng of last minute Christmas shoppers and the people milling around simply because that's what you do before and after the parade. It was hard walking, fighting the prams and strolling, chatting, snack eating pedestrians but down near the port it was obvious that the crowd was still awaiting the arrival of their Majesties the Magician Kings.

I watched the parade pass. I was bombarded by the sweets thrown from the passing floats. The crowd of people pushed and shifted. A woman arrived who wanted to get to the other side of the street. "Let me through, I have a roscón," she said and the crowd parted like the Red Sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second class citizens

A bit bigger than 12 gauge

Shopping